Thursday, February 5, 2015

A Day of Eating Low Carb High Fat Style

If you are new to the idea of the low carb high fat diet, you probably have lots of questions about what to actually eat in a day.  What do I eat if I am avoiding sugars, fruits, starchy vegetables and grains?  There is plenty left!  As you can tell, I like vegetables a lot, so many of my sides for my meals use vegetables as a base.  There are also low carb bread recipes out there, low carb deserts, and pretty much anything can be made low carb.  It is definitely some work doing all the cooking, but for me, doing cooking is a lot better than developing diabetes complications and all the hassle that would be!  I like to cook several batches of things and refrigerate or freeze leftovers to save on the workload.  I only cook 2-3 days per week, and cooking extra and saving food for later really helps with that.  Here is an example of all the things I ate for my meals today, along with how to make them.  I hope this will help to give you ideas about meal-planning.  

Breakfast

This is my favorite breakfast.  I eat this pretty much every day just because I love it and it's so easy to make.  I have two eggs cooked in 1 tbsp of coconut oil, add in sliced avocado, then top with shredded cheese.  I drink a cup of unsweetened almond milk and a cup of coffee with heavy whipping cream and some Sweet Leaf drops to sweeten it.  







Lunch

For lunch today I had some chicken wings which I roast in the oven after coating them with either olive oil or butter and sprinkle them with parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and sometimes spices like rosemary.  Along with the chicken wings, I ate a cup of my low carb cauliflower soup.  I like to eat chicken wings for lunch a lot along with either a soup or side that I make, but sometimes I make recipes that can be my entire lunch like low carb zucchini lasagna.  


Dinner

For dinner, I always start with a salad. I mix in lettuce, green peppers, green onions (small amount), cucumbers, carrots (small amount), and cheese.  I top with red wine vinegar and oil for dressing.  Tonight I cooked a whole chicken in my rotisserie by coating the chicken with olive oil and paprika and letting it cook while I did other things.   I had eggplant chips for my side   I always drink coffee for dinner too, using the same heavy whipping cream and Sweet Leaf sweetener as for breakfast.  




Snack

Although many people who eat low carb high fat do not eat a snack before bedtime, I do like to have one before bed on most nights.  If I am not hungry, I do not eat.  I listen to my body.  I usually just have a small snack like this one, almond milk and 1/4 cup of ranch-flavored sunflower seeds.  Sometimes I have a low carb high fat dessert for snack like fat bombs or chocolate mousse.  These are really only a few of the options, there are many, many more!





I hope this helped to give you an idea of what my eating is like on a daily basis.  Like I said, these are only a few of the things I eat regularly and I like to change things up and have lots of variety (except breakfast, that is just my favorite!).  I hope to add more posts like this on different days and stay tuned as I share more recipes and information on my personal experience on the low carb high fat lifestyle.  If you have any ideas on what you would like to see, I'd love to hear from you!  You can always send me messages through my Facebook page Low Carb Heather.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment