Monday, March 9, 2015

Pancakes, Pancakes, Pancakes!

Pancakes, Pancakes, Pancakes!!





One of my favorite things to eat before starting the LCHF (low carb high fat) diet was pancakes with syrup.  Of course, it shot my blood sugar up to 400 and we all know what damage that does to the body.  One of the many great things about the LCHF diet is that anything can be made using the right ingredients.  Recently, I found a pancake syrup at the store that does not contain any carbs and does not raise my blood sugar at all.  The brand name is Walden Farms and they make different flavors of syrup, and it actually tastes great!  After stocking up on this syrup, I made lots and lots of pancakes!  There are three main ways to make pancakes that comply with the LCHF diet.  I explored all three methods and of course taste tested them all.  Below I'll explain the three methods and let you know which pancakes I thought tasted the best.

  1. The Cream Cheese and Eggs Method





This recipe uses the main ingredients of cream cheese and eggs.  For the recipe, visit I Breathe I'm Hungry.  You can add different flavorings such as vanilla extract, cinnamon, or even cocoa powder to your pancakes.  The batter is pretty thin and it makes thin pancakes, so if you like your pancakes thin, this may be the recipe for you.  I thought they tasted great and came pretty close to what regular pancakes would taste like.

2.  The Coconut Flour Method


This was the first time I have ever tried making anything with coconut flour.  If you have never tried it, know that a little bit goes a long way.  I used a mere 2 tbsp of coconut flour for this recipe and it fluffs up so much that it really takes over.  The other thing about coconut flour is the texture of it.  It's very sandy, so if you are someone who is sensitive to textures, this may bother you.  Unlike the first pancake recipe, this recipe makes very thick pancakes.  You'll see in the top picture that the batter was very thick and almost the consistency of dough.  I spread it out in the pan with a fork to make a pancake shape and to flatten it more.  I thought the pancakes were delicious and did not mind the sandy texture, in fact I kind of liked it after the first couple of bites.  Find the recipe at No Pain No Grain.  I cut the recipe into a quarter and made that for just one meal.  

3.  The Almond Flour Method



Last, I tried the almond flour method of making LCHF pancakes.  I have to say, I saved the best for last!  I think this method made the pancakes that were closest to traditional pancakes I used to eat.   Everything from the ease of making, to the consistency of the batter, to the taste of the pancakes was very similar to traditional pancakes.  Like the other recipes, you could get creative and add your own flavors such as vanilla extract, cinnamon, or cocoa powder, and those are just a few of the options.  Get the recipe from Wellness Mama.  I also cut this recipe into a quarter for one meal.


So if you thought that the LCHF diet is restrictive and does not allow you to eat the foods you love, this is just one of the many examples that regular foods can be made low carb.  Just two pancakes and a glass of almond milk kept me full of energy all morning and I never felt hungry.  Eating all three of these types of pancakes also kept my blood sugar within normal range.  Below is a picture of what my Dexcom showed after eating the almond flour pancakes at 7:30 a.m.  Now go enjoy those pancakes and good health!







No comments:

Post a Comment